20 chicken thighs depending on size
4 celery sticks diced
2 onions diced
4 garlic cloves crushed
300g button mushrooms or similar sliced
3 tablespoons plain flour 200ml white wine
3 egg yolks
300ml double cream
500ml Essential Cuisine Signature Chicken Stock Reduction
1 ltr water lemon juice salt and pepper
1. Melt the butter in a casserole dish with a little oil and seal off the seasoned chicken thighs a few at a time, lowering the temperature if the butter is browning – set aside.
2. Sweat off the onion, celery, garlic with the herbs. Add the mushrooms. Season. When soft after 2-3 minutes, add the flour and cook out for 2 minutes. Slowly add the wine, whisking continuously.
3. Add the Essential Cuisine Signature Chicken Stock Reduction and the water, ensuring there are no lumps of flour. Scrape the brown residue from the bottom of the pan as this contains a lot of flavour.
4. Place the chicken back in the pot, ensuring the chicken is covered. Simmer gently with a partially covered lid for about 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
5. Strain the chicken out – set aside.
6. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and the cream. Add a spoonful of the hot stock to temper it. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the stock, whisking all the time. Bring back to the boil. Check the seasoning, adding a squeeze of lemon juice as well.
7. Put the chicken back in the sauce and finish with chopped parsley and tarragon. Before serving ensure the chicken is hot all the way through.
Try using rabbit as a healthy high protein, low cholesterol alternative to chicken.