1.7kg whole lamb shoulder
200g onion, peeled and roughly chopped
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 bay leaves
5g fresh thyme
300g swede, peeled and cut into 2cm dice
300g parsnips, peeled and cut into 1cm slices
300g carrots, peeled and cut into 1cm slices
36g Essential Cuisine Lamb Stock Mix
500g Maris Piper potatoes, peeled or Desiree potatoes, diced
500g leeks, trimmed, washed and cut into 1cm slices
- Place the lamb into a suitable deep saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the simmer and skim any scum that rises to the surface.
- Add the onion, pepper, herbs and Essential Cuisine Lamb Stock Mix then cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours, turning the lamb every half hour.
- Turn off the heat, remove the lamb from the pan, pull the meat off the bone and cut into bite size pieces, removing any excess fat.
- Place the meat back into the pan and add the swede, parsnips and carrots, cover and cook for 15 minutes, add the potatoes for a further 15 minutes, then the leeks for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool, place in the fridge when at room temperature and chill overnight for the flavours to develop.
- Reheat thoroughly to serve, ladle into bowls and serve with chopped parsley.
Make the day before to deepen the flavours of this traditional Welsh dish. Serve with Caerphilly cheese and warm bread and butter.