10 joints oxtail
1 stick celery
4 garlic cloves
32g Essential Cuisine Beef Stock Mix
2 litres water
500ml red wine
4 button mushrooms
2 cloves garlic
300ml red wine
250ml Essential Cuisine Signature Beef Jus
250ml Essential Cuisine Signature Chicken Stock Reduction
1. Marinade the chopped oxtail in the wine, water, mirepoix vegetables, garlic and herbs overnight.
2. Strain and separate the meat from the vegetables.
3. Seal off the oxtail in a hot pan. Place into a casserole dish.
4. Quickly fry the vegetables and herbs and add to the casserole dish. Reduce the wine in the same pan to about 1⁄2. Pour into casserole dish and add the Essential Cuisine Beef Stock Mix that has been dissolved in the 2 litres of water.
5. Ensure the water covers the meat and place in the oven at 160°C for about 5-6 hours or until the meat is tender and comes off the bone easily.
6. When done, remove the meat and leave to cool.
7. Strain off the liquid and set aside.
For the sauce
1. Fry the chopped shallot, mushrooms and garlic with the herbs.
2. Add the wine and reduce until almost gone.
3. Add 1 1⁄2 litres of the strained stock along with the Essential Cuisine Signature Beef Jus, water and the Essential Cuisine Signature Chicken Stock reduction.
4. Reduce until required consistency, skimming constantly to remove impurities.
5. Strain through a muslin cloth and chill until needed.
6. To serve heat the sauce on the stove.
7. Reheat the beef oxtail in the remaining stock with enough water to cover.
8. Serve with either celeriac or parsnip mash flavoured with horseradish.
Use osso bucco for a more luxurious meal or add a spoonful of Essential Cuisine Beef Glace. Also try with other cheaper cuts i.e. featherblade or shin.