2kg beef skirt, trimmed
2 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1 litre Essential Cuisine No1 Beef Gravy
800g passata or chopped tinned tomatoes
1kg mashed potato
- Make the Essential Cuisine No1 Beef Gravy as per the pack instructions.
- Seal the beef skirt in a pan of hot oil. Remove and place in a deep casserole dish. Fry the remaining ingredients, except the peas, until starting to colour. Put the vegetables and the passata or chopped tomatoes on top of the beef and pour over the gravy. Cover and bake in the oven at 180°C for about 2 ½ hours or until the beef is soft and pulls apart.
- Remove the beef from the pan. Strain the gravy. Keep the vegetables. Shred the beef with 2 forks, adding enough gravy to keep moist and give the desired consistency. Then add back in the vegetables, along with the peas.
- In an ovenproof dish, smooth out the beef and top with the mashed potato. If desired, sprinkle the top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake at 170C for 45 minutes until piping hot all the way through.
- Serve with the remaining gravy and a selection of seasonal vegetables