500g strong bread flour, plus extra for dusting
50g caster sugar
10g instant yeast
140ml full fat milk, warmed
5 medium eggs
250g butter, diced and softened
- Preheat a fryer to 180 degrees
- Place the flour and sugar in a mixer bowl with a dough hook fitted. Add the salt to one side and yeast to the other. Add the milk and eggs, mix for around 8 minutes until smooth.
- Knead the dough on a slow speed for 5 minutes, then gradually add the butter. Once all the butter has incorporated and the dough is smooth and sticky, increase the speed and knead for a further 6 minutes. Transfer to another bowl, cover and place in the fridge overnight to prove.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour, turn out the dough and knock it back. Divide the dough into 10 balls.
- Place the balls on a lightly floured tray and cover with cling film and leave to prove for an hour or until doubled in size.
- Gently place the doughnuts into the fryer in batches. Turn the doughnuts every now and then so the colour evenly. Cook the 10 minutes.