5 rashers of smoked streaky bacon, cut into lardons
2 slices of day-old bread, crusts removed and cut into a small dice
150g frozen peas, thawed
75g salted butter
200g shallots, peeled and finely chopped
500g parmesan, 375g grated, 125g shaved
1.25litres double cream
625ml Essential Cuisine Signature Chicken Stock Reduction
Finely sliced chives and spring onions for garnish
1. In a medium frying pan, cook the bacon over a medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp and lightly browned, around 5 minutes. Drain on kitchen towel.
2. In the same pan, cook the bread over a medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp and golden. Season with salt and remove from the heat to cool.
3. In a medium saucepan of boiling water, cook the peas for 1-3 minutes until tender. Drain and rinse in cold water. Drain again and pat dry.
4. In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the shallots and a pinch of salt and cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3-5 minutes. Add the grated cheese and cook stirring often, until melted, 2-3 minutes. Gradually stir in the cream and stock and bring to a simmer, scraping up any cheese stuck to the bottom. Cook, partially covered, over a medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Season to taste.
5. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until very smooth. In a small bowl mix together the bacon, croutons, peas, shaved parmesan.
6. Spoon the bacon mix into each bowl, pour over the soup and garnish with the chives and spring onions.