400g smoked bacon lardons/diced pancetta
320g self raising flour
5g baking powder
120g dark brown sugar
2 eggs, separated
500ml dark ale
50g melted butter
15g Street Food Chef Dark Mexican Seasoning
20 slices streaky bacon
Maple syrup, to serve
- Fry the lardons in a dry hot pan until golden brown and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper and set aside.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, egg yolk, sugar, salt, Street Food Chef Dark Mexican Seasoning and beer. Add the melted butter and mix again. It should be smooth and “dropping” consistency. Fold in the lardons.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold this gently into the batter mix. Cover and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- When needed, ladle small amounts into a hot skillet with a little melted butter in it. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the underside is golden brown and a few bubble start to appear on top. Trun over and cook until the underside is golden brown.
- Serve with the fried streaky bacon and maple syrup