10 x 120g fresh tuna steaks
75ml soy sauce
75ml cooking sake
25g Essential Cuisine Asian Aromatic Base
Wasabi Tartare Sauce
4 hard boiled egg yolks
1 raw egg yolk
5g wasabi (dependant on desired strength)
5ml lemon juice
250ml olive oil
25g capers, finely chopped
25g cornichons, finely chopped
10g coriander, chopped
2g dried tarragon
Salt and pepper
- Mix the soy sauce, mirin, sake and aromatic base. Pour over the tuna steaks, turning to ensure a good even coating, clingfilm and marinade in the fridge for 1 hour.
- In a bowl, crush the hard boiled egg yolks. Whisk in the raw egg yolk until a creamy consistency is achieved. Slowly add the wasabi, lemon juice and water. Add the olive oil a drizzle at a time, whisking constantly. Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Remove the tuna from the marinade. Bring the marinade to a simmer and reduce for 2 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Seal the tuna in a hot pan, brush with the reduced marinade. Cook for 2 minutes each side, brushing with the marinade as you go.
- Serve with the wasabi tartare sauce and a grilled vegetable salad