2kg diced venison shoulder
200g sliced mushrooms
300g white onion, finely chopped
10g redcurrant jelly
5g English mustard
12g garlic, crushed
3 juniper berries
1 bay leaf
100ml red wine
500ml Essential Cuisine Signature Beef Jus
300ml good ale
Hot water paste
700g plain flour
- Dust the venison with flour and quickly fry until golden brown. Strain off excess oil. Set aside.
- In a thick bottom pan sweat the onion, garlic and the mushrooms with the berries, thyme and bay. Add the red wine and reduce. Add the ale and stir in, then the Essential Cuisine Signature Beef Jus, water, jelly and mustard. Braise for 3-4 hours until soft. Chill until needed.
- For the paste melt the fats in the water then bring to the boil
Sieve the flour and salt together. Add the egg and fold in
Pour in the hot water and quickly mix with a palette knife, folding it with your hands when it starts to come together. Be careful not to overwork. Wrap in clingfilm and rest until cold.
- When ready roll out the pastry to about 1cm thick. Line pie tin, pushing into the corners.
- Fill to the top with the pie filling and cover with the rest of the pastry, ensuring you pinch the tops together to create a seal. Brush with egg wash and rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 170C. brush the pie with egg wash again before putting in the oven. Bake for about 1 hour or until the pastry looks a dark golden brown and feels hard to the touch.