5 medium aubergines
Sea salt, season to your taste
Olive oil as required
1kg vegetable based mince
300g onion, peeled and finely diced
4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
400g tinned chopped tomatoes
10g freshly chopped oregano
5g freshly grated nutmeg
500ml Essential Cuisine Premium Instant Gravy
Freshly ground white pepper
12 tomatoes, skinned, quartered and seeded
800g peeled, cooked and sliced King Edward potatoes
For the cheese sauce souffle mix:
1litre Essential Cuisine Cheese Sauce, made up and cooled
2 egg yolks
5g ground cinnamon
2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 180˚c.
- Wash and dry the aubergines, slice across into circles. Place in a colander, sprinkle with sea salt and leave for 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan, fry as many aubergine slices as possible at one time until golden on both sides. Remove and drain well.
- Heat 30ml of olive oil in a large frying pan, add the mince, onion and garlic, cook until the mince starts to colour. Stir in the tomato, oregano and nutmeg and gravy, simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to your taste with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- In an ovenproof casserole dish, place a layer of the mix, top with half of the aubergine slices then half of the tomato quarters. Repeat the mix, aubergine and tomato layers until they are all used up. Arrange the sliced potato on top.
- Stir the egg yolks and cinnamon into the Essential Cuisine Premium Instant Cheese Sauce. Whip the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff then gently fold into the sauce.Spoon over the potato in the casserole and bake until the centre is piping hot and the soufflé top is risen and golden brown.
- Your Essential Vegetarian Moussaka is now ready to serve with a crisp Greek salad.