4 Medium aubergines
Sea salt – Season to your taste
Olive oil as required
1kg Lean minced lamb
300g Finely diced onion
4 Garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1tbsp Tomato puree
300g Tinned chopped tomatoes
2tsps Freshly chopped oregano
1 tsp Freshly grated nutmeg
400ml Essential Cuisine Lamb Stock
Freshly ground white pepper
12 Tomatoes, skinned, quartered and seeded
800g Peeled, cooked and sliced King Edward potatoes
For the Béchamel
62.5g Essential Cuisine Béchamel Sauce mix
8g Essential Cuisine Cheese Stock mix
500ml Cold water
2 Free range egg yolks
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
2 Egg whites
- Preheat oven to 180˚c.
- Wash and dry the aubergines, slice across into circles. Place in a colander, sprinkle with sea salt and leave for 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan, fry as many aubergine slices as possible at one time until golden on both sides.
- Remove and drain well on kitchen paper, repeat with all of the aubergine.
- Heat 30ml olive oil in a large frying pan, add the lamb, onion and garlic, cook until the meat starts to colour.
- Stir in the tomato puree, tomato, oregano, nutmeg and Essential Cuisine Lamb Stock Mix. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season to your taste with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- In an ovenproof casserole dish, place a layer of the lamb mix, top with half of the aubergine slices then half of the tomato quarters.
- Repeat the lamb, aubergine and tomato layers until they are all used up. Arrange the sliced potato on top.
- Whisk the Essential Cuisine Gluten Free Béchamel Sauce mix and Essential Cuisine Cheese Stock mix into the cold water in a suitable saucepan with a lid.
- Bring to the boil, whisking continuously to avoid catching on the bottom. Gently simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Allow to cool slightly. Stir in the egg yolks and cinnamon. Whip the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff then gently fold into the sauce.
- Spoon over the potato in the casserole and bake until the centre is piping hot and the soufflé top is risen and golden brown.
- Your Essential Gluten Free Moussaka is now ready to serve with a crisp Greek salad.