25g unsalted butter
200g onion, peeled and chopped
10g garlic, peeled and crushed
800g celeriac, peeled and chopped
36g Essential Cuisine Vegetable Stock Mix
2 bay leaves
2g sprigs of fresh thyme
200-300g grated Shropshire Blue cheese
50ml double cream
Good twist of freshly ground pepper
- Melt butter in a suitable saucepan and add the chopped onions and garlic, fry gently until they are tender, with not too much colour, add the celeriac and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the Essential Cuisine Vegetable Stock Mix and water.
- Bring to the boil, add the bay leaves and thyme, simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the celeriac is tender.
- Take off the heat, gently stir in the Shropshire Blue cheese until it is melted, remove the bay leaves.
- Puree in a liquidiser or using a stick blender until smooth and pass soup through a sieve, adjust the consistency with more water if necessary.
- Return to a clean saucepan, pour in the double cream and reheat, taking care not to boil the soup.
- Finally, season to your taste and your soup is ready to serve in warm bowls with warm crusty bread.
We are using a mature and mellow Shropshire blue cheese from the Long Clawson dairy, rich orange in colour, with distinctive blue veining, this gives a subtle tinge to the soup.