3kg chicken wings, tips removed, drums
and flat separated
25g celery salt
10g white pepper
125g rice flour
Oli for frying
500g caster sugar
250ml fish sauce
30g Essential Cuisine Asian Aromatic Base
100g cornflour, mixed with a little water
30g fresh Thai basil, finely chopped
30g fresh mint, finely chopped
150g desiccated coconut, lightly toasted
50g red chillies, finely sliced
150g crispy onions
100g crushed peanuts
3 limes, cut into wedges
1. Preheat a fryer to 180°c
2. In a large bowl combine the wings with the dry spices and buttermilk. Leave to marinate for up to 4 hours. Drain off excess marinade and toss through the flours. Keep chilled until ready to fry.
3. For the sauce. In a saucepan bring the water with the sugar to the boil and reduce to a syrup. Add the fish sauce and Essential Cuisine Asian Aromatic Base and continue to boil.
4. Pour in the cornflour mixture to thicken the sauce, whisking to make sure there aren’t any lumps.
5. Place the wings into a fryer basket in small batches. Cook for 7-8 minutes or until core temp of 75°c is reached.
6. In a deep serving dish pile up the wings. Pour the sauce over the top, add all the garnishes and serve with the lime wedges.