240ml olive oil
600g onions – thinly sliced
56g cloves garlic - crushed
2 tbsp cumin seeds
30g Essential Cuisine Spicy Persian Seasoning
400g cavolo Nero or kale – woody stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
200g baby spinach
10g flat parsley – roughly chopped
10g dill – roughly chopped
1.5kg turnips – peeled and cut into pieces
1.2kg potatoes – peeled and cut the same as the turnip
200g Greek yoghurt or vegan alternative
240g feta – roughly crumbled into large chunks
Salt and pepper, seasoning
- Put 75ml olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. When hot add the onions and cook for 30 minutes, stirring every now and then to stop burning. When brown and caramelised remove from the pan onto a bowl.
- Add 45 ml olive oil over a medium heat, followed by the garlic & cook for 1-minute stirring continuously. Add the cumin seeds and Essential Cuisine Spicy Persian Seasoning, cook for further 30 seconds or so until fragrant.
- Add the cavolo Nero and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until soften and slightly charred. Remove from the heat, transfer to a bowl, add the spinach and soft herbs.
- While the onions are cooking put the turnips & potatoes in a pot, add enough water just to cover. Bring to the boil, then to a simmer for 15 minutes or so until tender.
- Drain and place back into the pot with the yoghurt, 60ml olive oil & seasoning. Mash until a chunky mash is achieved.
- Place mash in a serving bowl with a hole in the middle, add half the onions & feta, followed by the greens, then the rest of the onions and feta, drizzle over the remaining oil and enjoy.