250g white onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsps ground cumin
2 tsps ground coriander
2 tsps ground ginger
1 small red chilli, chopped
750g parsnip, peeled and diced
250g potato, peeled and diced
50g Essential Cuisine Light Vegetable Stock Mix
2 ltrs water
Twist of freshly ground pepper Sea salt, season to your taste
Handful of chives
FOR THE CROUTONS
100ml olive oil
2 slices of white bread
2 tbsps sesame seeds
- Melt the butter in a suitable pan and add the chopped onion and garlic, fry gently until they are tender.
- Add the cumin, coriander, ginger, chilli and parsnips. Cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Add potatoes, water and Essential Cuisine Light Vegetable Stock Mix, then bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until the parsnips and potatoes are tender.
- Purèe in a liquidiser or using a stick blender until smooth, then pass through a sieve.
- For the croutons, cut the whitr bread into 1cm dice or use a festive cutter.
- Heat the oil in a suitable frying pan, toss the croutons in the oil until they start to colour.
- Remove from heat and drain any excess oil. Add sesame seeds and return to the heat for 30 seconds until golden brown.
- Finally, reheat your soup and season to your taste. Serve your soup in warm bowls, scatter the croutons over the soup with some chives.