20ml vegetable oil
500g vean minced lamb
100g onion, peeled and finely chopped
100g leek, washed and finely shredded
100g carrots, peeled and finely chopped
100g celery, finely chopped
10ml Worcestershire sauce
100ml red wine (optional)
500ml Essential Cuisine No1 Beef Gravy
100g cooked fresh or frozen peas
1kg King Edward potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
200-250g cheddar cheese, grated
2g ground nutmeg
A good twist of freshly ground pepper
2 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 180C. Heat a suitable frying pan and add the oil, fry the lamb mince then remove, leaving the fat in the pan.
- Add the onion, leek, carrot and celery, gently fry until tender but with not too much colour.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and wine and reduce by half. Pour in the gravy, stir in the fried lamb and bring to the simmer, place in the oven with a lid, cook for 1-1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove and stir in the peas, then season to your taste and allow to cool in a suitable earthenware dish.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes until tender, drain well and push through a sieve or ricer. Beat half of the grated cheese into the warm mash, then the butter. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Finally beat in the egg yolks, spoon into a piping bag with a large nozzle and pipe the mash onto the pie mix. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown on top and piping hot in the middle, serve your Shepherds Pie with your choice of fresh vegetables and extra gravy if required.