125g of butter
2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Essential Cuisine Chicken Stock 1.7 litres / 3 pints (Vegetarians may substitute Essential Cuisine Vegetable Stock)
1. Cut the top off the pumpkin and set aside. Scoop out the seeds and fibres from middle and discard.
2. Using a sharp knife and a spoon, carefully hollow out the pumpkin, removing the flesh and setting aside. Roughly chop the scooped-out pumpkin flesh.
3. Melt the butter in a large pan and add the onions. Cook the onions until they are softened and golden- brown.
4. Add the pumpkin flesh and season, to taste. Increase the heat to medium and cover with the lid. Cook for 40 – 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the base from burning.
5. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Transfer the soup to a food processor in batches and blend until smooth.
6. Return the soup to the pan and bring to a low simmer and cook for a further half an hour.
7. Forty-five minutes before serving, preheat the oven to 170C/335F/Gas3.
8. Pour the soup into the hollow pumpkin shell and stir to combine.
9. Place the reserved pumpkin ‘lid’ onto the pumpkin and place onto a large baking tray. Cook in the oven for about 45 minutes, to bring the soup up to temperature.