1kg leg of pork
80g Essential Cuisine American BBQ Style Seasoning
1 onion, diced
1.1kg plain flour
40g baking powder
1 litr buttermilk
500g cheddar, grated
20g chopped dill, plus a little extra for garnish
Maple syrup, to serve
- In a casserole dish, place the pork shoulder, cover with water and add 30g Essential Cuisine American BBQ Style Seasoning. Braise for 2 hours or until cooked and soft enough to pull apart. Remove form the water and while still hot, rub another 30g EC STC bbq seasoning into the meat. Shred and set aside.|
- Fry the onion in a little butter until soft and almost caramalised. Add the remaining Essential Cuisine American BBQ Style Seasoning into the shredded pork. Add the chopped dill and mix in.
- Stir together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the milk, eggs and if using the buttermilk. Whisk until smooth. Cover and rest in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- To make the hotcakes, melt a little butter in a nonstick pan. Add a ladle of batter and swirl around to make a circle.
- Sprinkle with a little of the pork and some of the cheese.
- Drizzle with a little more batter. When the batter starts to bubble, flip over and continue to cook until the bottom is golden brown and the cheese has melted in the middle.
- Serve with maple syrup