75g onion, peeled and finely chopped
75g carrot, peeled and finely chopped
75g celery, peeled and finely chopped
15 crushed peppercorns
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
100ml red wine
100ml red wine vinegar
1ltr Essential Cuisine Signature Beef Jus
50-100ml double cream (optional)
50g unsalted butter
Good Twist of freshly ground pepper
Sea salt, season to your taste
1. Melt the butter in a suitable pan and add the chopped vegetables, peppercorns, thyme and bay leaves. Fry gently until tender, with not too much colour.
2. Pour in the wine and vinegar, reduce on a high heat, till reduced by two thirds.
3. Add the beef jus and cream if using, bring to the boil and simmer till you have a coating consistency.
4. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter, but do not boil.
5. Pass through a fine sieve, check the seasoning and serve with any game dishes.