300g white rice
100g split black lentils (urad dal)
10g fenugreek seeds
Sunflower oil for frying
- Soak the rice overnight in 500ml water. At the same time in a separate bowl soak the lentils and fenugreek seeks together in the remaining 400ml water.
- The next day drain the rice and transfer to a blender. Blend to a paste, adding a little water if needed but not too much as you want a thick paste.
- Repeat the process with the lentils. Combine the 2 pastes in a bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave in a warm space for 24 hours to ferment. You will find the batter rises a little and smells sour. At this point place in the fridge until needed.
- Check the batter is the right consistency, add some water if needed.
- Heat a frying pan over a high heat, add a few drops of oil. Once the pan is hot, wipe it carefully with kitchen paper so that it is greased, but dry. Pour a ladle of batter into the frying pan and using the bottom of the ladle spread out the batter to cover the pan evenly and thin.
- Drizzle 1tsp of oil around the edges of the dosa and cook for 3 minutes, until golden. Fold in half and place on a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve the dosa with chutneys of your choice or maybe a Sambhar.