1.4kg beef mince
500g finely chopped onion
20g chopped garlic
2g dried flaked chillies
1kg fresh good quality tomatoes, roughly chopped
50g tomato paste
150ml red wine
500ml Essential Cuisine Signature Veal Stock Reduction
2g dried oregano
Salt and pepper
1.2kg fresh pappardelle pasta
1. Mix the breadcrumbs with the milk and set aside. Fry half the chopped onion with half the garlic in a little olive oil until golden brown. Add the chilli flakes and mix the onion and breadcrumbs into the mince. Season. Roll into 40 even sized balls, no bigger than a golf ball, squeezing gently to keep the shape. Fry gently in a little more olive oil until starting to colour. Strain and set aside.
2. Fry off the rest of the garlic and onion. Add the oregano and cook until golden brown. Deglaze with the red wine and reduce until almost gone. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato purée and cook down slowly until the tomatoes are starting to break down.
3. Add the Essential Cuisine Signature Veal Stock Reduction and cook slowly until it starts to thicken. Check the seasoning. If you prefer a smooth sauce, blend and pass through a sieve. Add the meatballs and simmer for 10-12 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through.
4. Cook the pasta in boiling salted water and strain. Portion into a bowl and serve 4 meatballs per person with a good spoonful of the sauce on top.
5. Top with grated parmesan and serve with crusty garlic bread.
Try using a mixture of pork and beef