25ml olive oil
1.5kg neck fillet of lamb, cut into 3cm dice
500g white onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground ginger
8 cloves, crushed
1/2 red chilli, finely chopped
50g Essential Cuisine Lamb Stock Mix
500g chopped tinned tomatoes
2 cinnamon sticks
2 bay leaves
6 strips of lemon peel
500g dried apricot, halved
125ml clear honey
3 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
Twist of pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 160°c. Heat the olive oil in a suitable frying pan. Season the diced lamb to your taste and cook until browned on all sides, place in an oven-proof casserole dish.
- In the same pan, gently fry the onions and garlic until tender.
- Stir in the ground cumin, turmeric, ginger, cloves and chopped chilli, cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the Essential Cuisine Lamb Stock mix, chopped tomatoes, water, cinnamon, bay leaves and lemon peel.
- Bring to the boil then pour over the lamb in the casserole dish, cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the dried apricots and honey, return to the oven and continue cooking for 30 minutes or until the lamb is tender.
- Remove the cinnamon, bay leaves and lemon peel, adjust the consistency of the tagine with a little water if necessary and season to taste.
- Serve with your choice of garnish (see chefs tip) finish with the chopped coriander.