5ml melted butter
150g plain flour
150g fine yellow cornmeal
15g baking powder
5g caster sugar
30g Essential Cuisine Dark Mexican Style Seasoning
30ml melted butter
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Crushed avocado with lime juice to garnish
For the salsa:
500g large ripe tomatoes, skinned and seeded
200g onion, peeled
20g garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
30ml red wine vinegar
20g fresh coriander, chopped
Tabasco sauce to taste
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Grease a suitable bread tin with the melted butter. Preheat oven to 200◦c.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and seasoning together in a bowl, make a well in the centre.
- Mix the buttermilk, melted butter and eggs well, then pour into the well in the dry ingredients, stir together briefly.
- Pour into the greased tin, bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until the bread is firm to the touch and cooked through. Allow to cool.
- For the salsa, finely dice the vegetables and add to the garlic in a bowl.
- Add the vinegar, coriander, Tabasco and season to taste.
- Slice the cornbread and serve with the crushed avocado and tomato salsa spooned on top.