50ml corn oil
1kg onion, finely chopped
750g lean minced British pork
750g lean minced British beef
5 garlic cloves, crushed
3tsp chilli powder
2tbsp dried oregano
1tbsp lightly crushed cumin seeds
1kg tinned, chopped tomatoes
35ml red wine vinegar
15g caster sugar
750g red kidney beans
Long grain rice, cooked in Essential Cuisine Vegetable Stock
TO SERVE (optional)
1 bunch spliced spring onions
1 bunch chopped chives
Tabasco pepper sauce Grated cheddar cheese
1. Heat the oil in a suitable saucepan or casserole dish. Fry the onion till softened but not too much colour, add the pork and beef mince, stir until brown.
2. Add the garlic, chilli powder, oregano and cumin and cook for two minutes. Then stir in the tomatoes and Essential Cuisine Beef Stock Mix, bring to a simmer.
3. Add the vinegar and sugar, cover loosely with a lid and simmer gently for 1 hour, stirring occasionally and removing any fat from the surface.
4. Stir in the kidney beans and cook for 15 minutes, check the seasoning and consistency. Add a few drops of Tabasco pepper sauce if needs be.
5. Serve on a bed of Essential Cuisine Vegetable Stock rice, with a spoonful each of sour cream and guacamole. Why not sprinkle spring onions and chives on top!