10 medium sized poblano peppers
30ml vegetable oil
750g mince pork
200g onion - diced
35g cloves garlic, minced
1g dried oregano
60g Essential Cuisine Dark Mexican Style Seasoning
400g tinned chopped tomatoes
100g green apple, peeled, cored and chopped
50g raisins, chopped
50g dried apricots, chopped
50g pecans, chopped
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
For the Walnut Sauce
200g raw walnuts, toasted and skins rubbed off
250g low fat sour cream
200g fat free cream cheese, room temperature
125ml milk, more if desired
Coriander for garnish
- Roast the poblanos under a medium-high grill until blackened, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Place poblanos in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap, let steam 20 minutes.
- While the poblanos are steaming, in a large frying pan on medium, heat the oil and then add the ground pork. Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onions; cook until are translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, Essential Cuisine Dark Mexican Style Seasoning, oregano. Add the tomato, apple, raisins, dried apricots and pecans. Salt to taste. Cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Remove the poblanos from the bowl and rub/peel off the skin, careful not to tear the pepper. Cut a lengthwise slit into each, from top to tip, and remove the seeds. Stuff each poblano with the pork filling.
- To make the sauce, place the walnuts in a blender along with the sour cream, cream cheese and milk; puree until a smooth, slightly thick sauce forms. Add the cinnamon and salt to taste. If you prefer a thinner sauce, add more milk.
- To serve, place a stuffed poblano on each plate and pour over some of the walnut sauce. Sprinkle with the coriander for garnish. Serve.