3kg chicken wings – tips removed, drums and flat separated
25g celery salt
10g white pepper
150g Essential Cuisine Southern Indian Style Seasoning
125g rice flour
60ml vegetable oil
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
6 green cardamon pods
2 bay leaves
100g onion, peeled and finely chopped
75g carrot, peeled and grated
30g garlic and ginger paste
1 tin chopped tomatoes
24g Essential Cuisine Southern Indian Style Seasoning
150ml double cream
45g chilled butter, diced
8g garam masala
Chopped coriander to garnish
1. Preheat a fryer to 180°C
2. In a large bowl combine the wings with the dry spices and buttermilk. Leave to marinate for up to 4 hours. Drain off excess marinade and toss through the flours. Keep chilled until ready to fry.
3. Heat the oil in a medium pot over a medium to high heat, add the cinnamon, star anise, cardamon and bay leaves. Fry for 30 seconds. Add the onions, carrot and fry stirring occasionally for 15 minutes until soft but not browned. Add the garlic, ginger paste and fry for another 30 seconds.
4. Add the paprika, EC Southern Indian Style Seasoning and chopped tomatoes, simmer for 3 minutes then remove the whole spices and blend until smooth. Pour back into the pan, lower the heat to medium, whisk in the cream, then the cold butter to emulsify. Season to taste.
5. Place the wings into a fryer basket in small batches. Cook for 7-8 minutes or until core temp of 75°C is reached.
6. Toss the wings in the sauce, then pour over a little more sauce. Garnish with coriander and serve.