A recipe from the Wadworth Pie Competition 2017. Game, juniper and 6X gold beer pie served with creamy
mashed potatoes, curly kale and roasted beetroot.
1. Marinade the game mix in 250ml of 6X Gold and juniper berries and leave overnight.
2. Dice the onions.
3. Make gluten free pastry as per nested recipes and rest in refrigerator.
1. Heat oil in pan and cook onions until soft. Drain off game mix and brown the game mix, add thyme, bay leaves and add the 6X gold liqueur and 250ml of water. Leave to simmer for 40 -45 minutes until meat is tender. Remove bay leaves and add the demi glace to thicken the sauce and season to taste.
2. Roll out pastry and line the pie dish. Fill with game mix and top with lid. Egg wash.
3. Cook in oven at 170C for 30 minutes until pastry is golden and core temperature reaches 75C.
4. Cook mash, kale and beetroot as per nested recipes
1. Remove the core and the woody stems and chop
1. Bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil along with the butter
2. Add the prepared kale and simmer for 4-5 minutes
3. Drain well and season to taste
Home made gluten free shortcrust pastry Preparation
1. Sieve the flour, salt and xanthum gum into a clean bowl
2. Rub in the butter and margarine into the flour mix and lightly mix with fingertips until a breadcrumb consistency is formed (or blitz in a food processor)
3. Add the egg and a little cold water and really mix well NOTES – Keep an eye on the texture, you may need to add a little more water so its nice and soft, bear in mind the gum wil tighten up the mixture considerably.
4. Roll out using on a clean work surface with gluten free flour to dust the work surface
Roasted Beetroot Preparation
1. Wash beetroot and wrap individually in tin foil
1. Preheat oven to 200c
2. Place beetroot and tray and cook in oven for approx. 40 mins to 1 hour
3. Remove and take out of tin foil
4. When cool enough, remove skin and cut into wedge
5. Toss in oil, seasoning and thyme sprigs
6. Roast for 30-45 minutes until roasted
Mashed Potatoes Preparation
1. Wash and peel the potatoes. Chop into equal size pieces
1. Place potatoes into a pan and cover with water. Season with a little salt
2. Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes
3. Drain well and mash (in a Moulin or ricer)
4. Add butter, cream and nutmeg. Mix well and season to taste